With the weather slowly getting warmer, and the first day of spring a few days ago; i thought i would say farewell to the cold, and perhaps rain? Who am i kidding! i live in England. To say "goodbye",I made a sticky gingerbread loaf, with all the wintry spices, that warm you from the inside out( I'm talking about the ginger, btw).
I made this for my dads birthday,(yes, i know it was in May, i just haven't got round to posting this yet. Sorry.) it kept well, so is a great choice if you know someone doesn't eat allot of cake, but you still want to give them something.Serve it with butter, which is what we had it with, as it was quite dense like a malt loaf. or if you wanted to turn it into a dessert, warm it up and serve with hot custard. If your going to serve it as a pudding, or eat it on its own with a fork, to make it even more gingery and delicious, when its still warm pour over stem ginger syrup with chopped stem ginger pieces.
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 whole nutmeg, freshly grated
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp milk
175g black treacle
175g golden syrup
175g dark brown soft sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1. preheat oven 170°
2. sift flour and spices( incl the pepper) together
3. mix the bicarb and milk together, set aside
4. melt the treacle, golden syrup, sugar and butter with 150ml water, until blended
5. add the syrup mixture to the flour, beat vigorously with a wooden spoon
6. when the mixture is smooth beat in the eggs, a little at a time
7. then beat in the milk and bicarb mixture
8. pour into a prepared tin and bake for 1 1/4- 1 1/2 hrs, until well risen, firm to the touch and has slightly shrunk away from the sides
9. remove,allow to cool.
10. best eaten when matured for a few days. enjoy