Here is my favourite cupcake recipe of all time: The sponge is light, with a subtle lemony flavour, and doesn't get really dry for about 3 days, paired with an intensely lemon pastel yellow icing , then sprinkled with pastel coloured balls. A perfect spring treat.
To make the lemon icing extra lemony, i add lemon curd to the icing as well as lemon juice(about a tablespoon). I found these pastel coloured balls in tkmaxx, and if you look hard, I'm sure find something similar, but if you are too impatient to wait for a good bargain then i have found some similar here.
To make the sponge extra lemony, you could add lemon extract, and extra lemon rind. If you only want a tad more lemon then spread the top, or inject the cupcake with more lemon curd, before topping with icing.For an alternative decoration; scoop out a circle, then fill with whipped cream, cut the circle in half, place like butterflies wings then put a small dollop of lemon curd, down the centre.
175g butter, softened
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1/2 cup lemon curd
2 cups self-rasing flour
1/4 cup milk
1. preheat oven to 190°c
2. beat butter and sugar together until light and creamy.
3. add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. stir in the lemon curd
5. fold in the flour alternatively with the milk
6. pop into pre-cased 12 cupcake tin
7. bake in preheated oven for 20-25 mins until well risen and golden
8. transfer to rack to cool
9. when cool, ice with lemon butter icing
lemon butter icing
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
grated lemon zest of 1 lemon
1. beat butter until pale and fluffy
2. sift the icing sugar
3. beat the icing sugar into the butter, add lemon juice until you reached your desired consistency.
<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/12211277/?claim=cyxzaz5gayc">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>