One week until the Easter holidays! yay! Oh, wait, that's just for my sisters. Great... That means, i still have an extra week, of getting up at ridiculously early o'clock, for work experience. I just want to go to bed, and cry. To get me through the tough weeks; i thought that chocolate, was really, the only answer. Since my sisters will have a head start in holidays , i thought i deserved a head start, in the chocolate eating department. So i made this gorgeous tart(man.... i love salted caramel and chocolate).
Like with all chocolate recipes, use the best chocolate you can afford, it really makes a difference. I used left over plain sweet pastry, but feel free to buy, or make a sweet chocolate pastry, if you feel like going on a chocolate blowout. I used almonds as they are probably my favourite nut, and what i had to hand, but feel free to use whatever nuts you like e.g. Hazelnut for that Nutella vibe, or pecans would work well too.
x1 quantity of sweet pastry
100ml double cream
1 large pinch sea salt
100g dark chocolate
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1. preheat the oven to 180°c/ gas 4.
2. roll out the pastry, line with grease-proof paper, and fill with baking beans, bake for 20 mins. remove the baking beans and cook for a further 5-10 mins until golden.cool
3. While the tart is cooking, make the salted caramel. Dissolve the sugar with 2 tbsp water, cook until the sugar turns golden.
4. Reduce the heat, add butter, cream and golden syrup.stir until smooth and thickened.
5. remove from the heat, add the sea salt.
6. leave to cool for a few minutes
7. pour onto the tart case, scatter with chopped almonds.set aside
8. for the chocolate filling. melt the chocolate and butter together, in the microwave or over a bowl of simmering water, until smooth. set aside and leave to cool.
9. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, egg yolk and sugar for about 6 mins until thick and pale, and doubled in size.
10. carefully fold in the chocolate and cocoa powder.
11. pour into the tart case. bake for 20-25 mins or until its set and formed a crust.
12. leave to cool before cutting. Dust with cocoa powder before serving. enjoy.