With summer on its way...Hopefully. I start using lemon, in a whole lot more recipes. This is just the start of it, unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look on it. This cake is one of my new favourites,as its so moist and it's really lemony, unlike some recipes which lack flavour, unless accompanied with lemon icing, but this isn't one of them.I also love almonds, so this cake was right up my street. I have also used polenta in the past in cakes see here, and love the unusual crunchy texture it gives. I also love how this cake is gluten free, so I can eat as much as I like without getting a sore tummy.
Serve at afternoon tea, or as a easy summer dessert. Personally, i would chose the dessert option with greek yogurt, or if your feeling really fancy dollop on creme fraiche, sprinkle on thyme, or lemon thyme if your really trying to impress someone.
200g caster sugar
200g almond flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
125g icing sugar
1. preheat the oven to 180 °/ gas 4.
2. beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
3. in a separate bowl mix together the almonds, polenta and baking powder
4. beat in a little of the dry mix into the butter and sugar, followed by one egg
5. add the rest in, alternating between egg and the dry mix, finally beat in the lemon zest
6. place into your prepared tin, and into the oven for 40 mins, or until golden, and coming away from the sides
7. meanwhile, make the syrup: mix together the lemon juice and icing sugar, bring to the boil in a small saucepan (or in the microwave, until the sugar has dissolved.
8. once the cakes done, prick with a cake tester, pour over the syrup whilst the cakes are still hot. leave to cool fully in the tin
9. when cool, serve with greek yogurt and thyme if wished