OK, spring might not be the best time to eat chocolate cake. When attempting to get "beach ready", but if its someones birthday or your own, a chocolate cake cake is really the best option.I little cake won't hurt...
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
125g softened butter
250g of sugar
1 teaspoon bicarb
225g plain flour
50g cocoa powder
1. preheat oven to gas 4, 180oc
2. line a large cake tin or two smaller tins ( i prefer two as i can't cut straight in the middle) with grease proof
3. stir lemon juice into milk
4. beat the butter and the sugar together until pale and fluffy.
5. beat in the eggs one at a time
6. sift the cocoa, bicarb and flour together
7. fold in half the milk, then the flour. Then the milk, then the flour.
8. pour mixture into the cake tin, and bake until well risen and a skewer comes out clean.
9. leave to cool
i usually just ice the middle , top and sides. although i sometimes put a layer of raspberry jam in the middle a well as icing, i find this adds something and lifts it.double this icing recipe if you want icing on the sides as well as one top and in the middle.
150g icing sugar
15g cocoa powder
1-2 tablespoons of milk
1. beat butter
2. sift cocoa and icing sugar together
3. mix into the butter
4. beat in milk to make it spreadable
5. spread onto cold cake
6. decorate while icing hasn't set