Cake is x1000 better than lemonade, right? So, when you buy lemons, (because nothing in life, is free; life never gives you lemons) you should make this cake. Not to mention, its the perfect summer cake, as lemons just scream summer, particularly as this one contains lemon curd, which is refreshing. Just in case you needed any more persuading, then i thought i should mention, it was my birthday cake, and obviously put more effort into my own cake, than anyone else's(bit selfish like that, but i do share!)so its super tasty and obviously looks good(cant deal with ugly looking cakes!).
Lemon cake, is my favourite type of cake (coffee comes second) and if you hadn't noticed, regularly appears in many of my cakes, paired with other flavours, such as my lemon and cardamon cake. I also added lemon syrup on top, to make it extra moist, mainly because i accidentally cooked it for a bit longer than i needed (trust me to ruin my own birthday cake!). Luckily, the almonds and the poppy seeds in the sponge, make it quite a moist sponge anyway.
To make this cake super lemony, i added lemon curd to the icing, because i love it, and honestly wish i lived in a warmer country, so i live amongst lemon trees,and smell of lemons, and eat lemons in everything. I just love lemons! OK. Feel free to omit the poppy seeds if you don't like them, but personally, I wouldn't as they look so pretty, in the sponge anyway. I also did a thin layer of lemon icing, then lemon curd, then another thin layer of icing in the middle, plus dollops on top, because lemon curd is so good, i like to use as much as of it as possible.
115g caster sugar
4 large free range eggs
125g self raising flour
180g ground almonds
40g poppy seeds
2 lemons, zest and juice
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tbsp caster sugar
350g icing sugar
1 lemon, zest, juice to taste
Poppy seeds, to finish
1. Preheat oven to 180c, gas 4. Grease and line tins with baking paper
2. Beat the butter and sugar, until light and fluffy.
3. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition
4. Fold in the almonds, flour, poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice.
5. Spoon into the prepared cake tins, bake for 30mins, or until golden and cocktail stick comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven, leave to cool
7. Meanwhile make the icing.
8. Beat the butter and icing sugar together.
9. Add in lemon zest.
10. Add in lemon juice and lemon curd, until desired consistency is reached
11. When the cake is cool, sandwich together with a layer of lemon icing and lemon curd.
12. Place the remaining icing and on top and gently bring down the sides
13. Top with lemon curd and scatter poppy seeds if wished.