Sunday 27 October 2013

ginger crunch with stem ginger

It's that time of year again, where most of the things I bake start including spices. So here is one of my favourite NZ recipes; Ginger Crunch(with my little twist).
 
 

If you like ginger then this recipe is definitely for you. I recommend using fresh ground ginger because other wise you will have to add a lot more than needed.
If you like something really gingery then I recommend adding stem ginger, cut up finely and a little bit of the syrup to the icing. I used two pieces of stem ginger and about a tablespoon of the liquid. Personally after baking with the stem ginger in, I won't go back to the original recipe, without the stem ginger.

I like a firm but not crisp base with this, but if you wanted you could cook it for longer on a gentle heat, to get a crisper base. If you wanted it even crisper try adding cornflakes to the base.





 
Ingredients
 
125g butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. golden syrup
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground ginger
 
1. Preheat oven to 180° c.
2. cream butter, sugar and golden syrup together until, light and fluffy.
3.sift flour, baking powder and ginger together and add to the creamed mixture.
4.press into slice tin and bake for 20 mins or until golden brown.
 
ice while hot with icing below.
 

Ingredients
 
85g butter
1 1/2 cups of icing sugar
2 T golden syrup
1 tsp. ground ginger
(x2 pieces of stem ginger with syrup, optional)
 
1. melt all ingredients in a saucepan and spread over base while hot.
2. leave to cool and set.
3. enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment